Halloween Fire Hazards

Halloween is always a fun time of year for families. However, the real scares may not come from ghosts and goblins, but from potential fire hazards that are common on the holiday. Learn how to keep your family safe from fire this Halloween.

Fire damage restoration flint

Halloween is a time of year when we might not pay attention to certain hazards, especially fire hazards. There are many house fires that occur as a result of Halloween decorations. Here are some of the hazards and ways to avoid them.

Candles in Jack-O-Lanterns Are The Main Cause of Halloween Fires

Carving a jack-o-lantern and setting it out on the porch is a great tradition. Some very creative carvers make pumpkins into works of art. However, the common way of displaying your creation might be the most dangerous Halloween fire hazard of all.

Fire damage restoration Shelby Township

Most people light a candle and put it inside the jack-o-lantern. However, improperly extinguished candles are the most common cause of house fires on Halloween. The National Fire Protection Association suggests using battery operated candles or LED lights to give your pumpkin a glow.

If not, then definitely make sure your candles are completely put out and properly disposed of. Otherwise, the real scare of a house fire could be the spooky Halloween event you experience.

Keep Your Kids Safe With a Fire-Proof Costume

Halloween costumes have become so much more detailed than they were 20-30 years ago. However, many costumes for children (and adults) can be fire hazards.

One major thing to keep an eye on is long, trailing fabrics. These costumes (such as flowy dresses or ghost costumes) can easily catch fire. An unsuspecting child could walk past an open flame or candle, which can ignite the fabric. There are many costumes that do not have this type of design, so seek those out.

Also, providing your kids with flashlights or glowsticks as opposed to a candle or any other form of light would be best. Some light sources can overheat, causing the costume to catch fire.

Also, Halloween is a good time of year to remind kids to keep themselves away from open flames. They may be tempted to get too close to a spooky jack-o-lantern and the results could be disastrous.

Beware of Flammable Halloween Decorations

Fire damage restoration Lapeer

While many decorations are made of non-flammable materials, some more traditional decorations can become major fire hazards.

Items such as hay bales, dried cornstalks and crepe paper can become tinder for a house fire. Try to avoid these materials and use plastic versions instead. If you must use these more rustic materials, then be sure to keep them away from open flames, light bulbs or space heaters.

Keep Your Halloween Party Safe For Guests

Fire damage restoration Port Huron

Halloween parties are always a good time. However, following the above instructions will help keep your house safe from fire. However, if you have a house full of guests doing The Monster Mash and suddenly a fire breaks out, the safety of everyone is paramount.

Be sure to keep all of the exits of your home free from obstructions and decorations, as this could cause injury to your friends and family. Also, be sure to follow the decoration material warning above, to keep potential fires from occurring.

If you DO experience a house fire this Halloween, contact the professionals at Aladdin’s to restore your property. Life can be scary, but call Aladdin’s when it gets out of hand.